There is something about a chilly winter day that calls for some warm tapioca pudding! At least that is my very humble opinion!
My Mom would make tapioca pudding by that pot full when I was younger. I remember coming home from church on Wednesday nights all ready to eat a bowl full of pudding only to find that my Dad had beat us to it and there wan’t much left! That man could put away some pudding!
My girls enjoy tapioca pudding as much as I do! Matt doesn’t like it so much though. We don’t mind, one less person to share it with!
I for one, cannot seem to wait long enough for the pudding to cool before eating. I do this with all puddings I suppose. Warm pudding is my favorite!
I spent several weeks on an AIP diet recently and was feeling burnt out on plantains. I love plantains but for seven weeks of a very limited diet, I had my fill of plantains! Pudding is what I was wanting! I don’t even make pudding often but the word ‘pudding’ kept swirling around in my brain! I couldn’t fight it any longer, I needed pudding!
Tapioca pudding won out since it was pretty simple to make without eggs! Admittedly, I do think the pudding is somewhat creamier with egg than without though. But when you must have pudding and you must not eat egg, I found my AIP version quite tasty indeed! I don’t think my girls noticed any difference at all either way!
Sometimes, okay, all the time…having a treat option keeps you on track with your eating requirements. At least that is how I see things from my point of view! Meat and veggies can take you a long ways, but then it is time for pudding!
I will include an AIP option for this recipe today as well! Those of you in the trenches of healing through food….You are not forgotten! Keep up the fight! Good things await you (and today, pudding is one of the good things)!
Go get yourself some GF tapioca and let’t get to cooking us some pudding!
- 1½ cups full fat canned coconut milk
- 1½ cups water
- 1 egg (for AIP make a gelatin egg)
- ¼ cup granulated tapioca
- ⅛t salt
- 3T maple syrup
- 1t vanilla (omit for AIP)
- To make the gelatin egg, pour 1T boiling water into a small glass and add in 1T grass fed gelatin. Whisk together and allow to bloom for a minute. Add in 1T warm water and whisk until frothy. Add into the pudding like you would the egg.
- Pour the water and coconut milk in a medium saucepan and stir until combined. Whisk the egg in a small glass or bowl and add it to the water/coconut milk in the saucepan. If you are making an egg free version simply replace the egg with the gelatin egg as instructed above. Stir in the tapioca and salt and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes until the tapioca is transparent. Make sure that you stir often. Once the tapioca is transparent, remove from heat and add in the maple syrup and vanilla (omit for AIP). Transfer to a bowl and place saran wrap over the top of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming. Serve when desired temperature is reached! This pudding will thicken as it cools. Store uneaten pudding in the fridge. Enjoy!
- You can use almond milk in place of the coconut milk if you prefer!