Every now and then it is nice to make a cookie that doesn’t require baking. The oven in my home is in frequent use and sometimes I just want to get all my cooking and baking done at once and get on to something else! This was the case a few days ago, I had broth in the crockpot, dinner in the oven and some side dishes simmering on the stove top! I was also packing a lunch for the following day as I went along when I realized that I was out of all snack food! Yikes! Not a good thing when you are packing lunch for a snack-lover!
I quickly went thru my cupboards and fridge and set everything I thought I could make something delicious out of on my countertop. The result was no bake cookies that are seriously the best I have ever had!
Traditional no bake cookies are made with oats and peanut butter, so those are out for us grain free people. But that is nothing to worry about! If you miss your old no bakes, you are gonna be a happy person today!
I started by pitting the dates and soaking them in water for about ten minutes. While the dates are soaking, I warmed up the almond butter and maple syrup over low heat in a saucepan until it was all smooth and creamy.
Next, chop the pecans into small pieces and place in a bowl with the coconut palm sugar, 1/2 cup of the shredded coconut, chocolate chips, cocoa nibs and pinch of salt and set aside.
Let’s get our dates ready for their appearance in our cookie shall we!
Drain the water that the dates were soaking in and place the dates in a Vitamix or other high powered blender and blend to make a paste. Take the date paste and mix it into the almond butter/syrup mixture and stir to combine. I added the vanilla at this point also!
Now add the dry ingredients into your date mixture and mix well!
This next part gets a little sticky! You are going to take the cookie dough and form little balls! I made mine about an inch in diameter. Just scoop some dough out with a spoon and roll it around in the palm of your hand to make a little ball.
Place the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded coconut in a shallow bowl and roll the cookie dough balls around in it until well coated. You can pop one in your mouth at this point too, taste testing is part of the game!
Store your cookies in the fridge until they have all been gobbled up!
- 8 dates, pitted and soaked in water
- ½ cup almond butter
- ¼ maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 cup pecans. chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup shredded coconut (set half aside for coating the cooking)
- ½ cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips
- ½ cup cocoa nibs
- pinch of salt
- 1T vanilla extract
- Place the pitted dates in a bowl of water and soak for ten minutes.
- In a small saucepan over medium low heat, warm the almond butter and maple syrup until smooth and creamy.
- Chop the pecans and add them to a bowl along with ½ cup coconut, palm sugar, chocolate chips, cocoa nibs and a pinch of salt. Mix to combine.
- Drain the water from the dates and place them in a Vitamix or other high powered blender and blend to make a paste.
- Add the date paste to the almond butter/syrup mixture and stir to combine.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet.
- Roll the cookie dough into small ball (about 1" in diameter).
- Place the remaining ½ cup shredded coconut in a shallow bowl and roll the cookie dough balls until well coated.
- Store in the fridge!